Sunday, October 6, 2013

Oh, you didn't hear the world explode--your ear buds were in.

Take 1
It was not like this in the beginning.
If you did not pay attention
you were gone.
Be consumed in the infinite lines of your palm for too long
and dusk would settle upon you,
in the dark,
alone.
We walk city streets like zombies,
we go to bed with empty skulls,
we wake to the ding of the alarm we carry
daily,
throughout the day,
the machinery to tell us the goings-on
of everywhere but
Here.
I pass a hundred instances
of disrespect
a day.
I count on my fingers
pairs of eyes that meet mine
and have fingers left to spare.
I feel
crazy
expecting anyone to hear me.
I write this poem attempting
to overwrite anger,
judgment,
incredulity,
with grace of
recognizing humanity.
Look that up on your iPhone;
maybe you'll learn what it is.
No, burn your f-ing iPhone;
maybe you'll Learn what it is.

1 comment:

  1. Concerned about the harshness in this poem for the past 24 hours, I just logged back on to remember this whole blog is based on a poem called "Tired of Speaking Sweetly," so, there, it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete